Men's winner Matthew Travaglini. Photo: Emily Setlack.
Men's fifth-place finisher Shaun Stephens-Whale. Photo: Emily Setlack.
Men's fourth-place finisher Matt Setlack. Photo: Emily Setlack.
Women's winner Meggan Franks. Photo: Emily Setlack.
Men's third-place finisher Allan Brett. Photo: Emily Setlack.
Women's third-place finisher Chantelle Groenewoud. Photo: Emily Setlack.
Held at the biathlon and cross-country ski venues of the 1988 Winter Olympics, the Canmore Nordic Centre (Alta.) not only hosted the 5 Peaks Trail Run on Saturday but also the Canadian Mountain Running Championships.
Matthew Travaglini and Meggan Franks are the 2017 national champions over 10.4K. Travaglini won by 43 seconds over Gareth Hadfield, both from Calgary, and Franks, who resides in Mississippi, had more than one minute over second-place finisher Adrienne Gomes. Allan Brett and Chantelle Groenewoud, both former standouts with the Speed River Track Club out of Guelph, Ont., rounded out the open division podiums.
Aidan Doherty and Annika Austin won the junior championships and too earned automatic spots on the worlds team.
The event served as a means of qualification for the 33rd World Mountain Running Championships, slated for July 30 in Premana, Italy. The top-three women and men from Saturday’s Canmore race earned automatic spots, if they choose to accept.
Canada has two primary mountain running championships: short course and long course. On May 7, The North Face Dirty Feet Kal Park 50 hosted the Canadian Long Course Mountain Running Championships.
Note that in some of the above photos, courtesy of Emily Setlack, runners are carrying bear spray. The safety measure was a race requirement.
Men’s top-five results
1. Matthew TRAVAGLINI Calgary Men’s Open 41:46
2. Gareth HADFIELD Calgary Men’s Open 42:29
3. Allan BRETT Calgary Men’s Open 43:11
4. Matt SETLACK Cold Lake Men’s Open 43:29
5. Shaun STEPHENS-WHALE Roberts Creek Men’s Open 44:54
Women’s top-five results
1. Meggan FRANKS Athabasca Women’s Open 50:34
2. Adrienne GOMES Squamish Women’s Open 51:43
3. Annika AUSTIN Vancouver Junior Female 52:19
4. Chantelle GROENEWOUD Vancouver Women’s Open 53:16
5. Katia LUMB Vancouver Junior Female 54:49
Full results can be found here.