Andre De Grasse pleased the Ottawa crowd with a sub-20-second performance over 200m at the Canadian Track and Field Championships.
Backed by an illegal 2.7 m/s tailwind, De Grasse clocked 19.96 to win his second championship title at Terry Fox Facility on Sunday afternoon. De Grasse beat defending 200m national champion Brendon Rodney by 0.06 seconds as Aaron Brown finished third in 20.13.
All three podium finishers are Olympic medallists as part of Canada’s 4x100m relay squad from Rio. De Grasse added a silver and a second bronze in the 200m and 100m at the Rio Olympics and takes on Usain Bolt over 100m at the IAAF World Championships in London this August.
1 De Grasse, Andre 94 Speed Academy 19.96 2.7
2 Rodney, Brendon 92 Hamilton Eli 20.02 2.7
3 Brown, Aaron 92 Phoenix Athl. 20.13 2.7
4 Linde, James 94 Coquitlam Cheetas 20.64 2.7
5 Smellie, Gavin 86 Flying Angels 20.73 2.7
6 Bramwell, Drelan 94 Speed Academy 21.04 2.7
7 Ajomale, Mobolade 95 Flying Angels 21.26 2.7
8 Robinson, Lucanus 96 St-Laurent 21.52 2.7
This year’s 200m win was De Grasses’s first over that distance at the Canadian Championships. He finished third in 2016 and, for the first time in his career, completes the 100m-200m double at the national level. He holds the Canadian 200m record at 19.80.
Prior to the men’s 200m, Crystal Emmanuel ran faster than the current Canadian record of 22.62. Because of an illegal 2.8 m/s tailwind, the mark is not eligible for record purposes. She ran 22.55 to defend her Canadian 200m title and, like De Grasse, completes the 100m-200m double.
1 Emmanuel, Crystal 91 Flying Angels 22.55 2.8
2 McDonald, Natassha 97 Project Athl. 23.21 2.8
3 Buchanan, Leya 96 U of Oklahoma 23.22 2.8
4 Jacques, Farah 90 Perfmax-Racing 23.80 2.8
5 Maxwell, Nyoka 97 C.A.N.I. Athletics 23.91 2.8
6 Hyacinthe, Kimberly 89 Vainqueurs Plus 24.06 2.8
7 Westney, Jellisa 93 Supreme Athletics 24.20 2.8
8 Labarang, Charifa 95 Ottawa Lions TFC 24.24 2.8
Women’s 200m final
Post-race interview with De Grasse
Post-race interview with Emmanuel
Other Canadian Running content from ACTF2017
– Brogan MacDougall, 16, puts on a show at Canadian Track Championships
– After freak accident, Matt Hughes hits IAAF world standard in the clutch
– Andrea Seccafien qualifies for IAAF World Championships unsponsored
– Mohammed Ahmed and Justyn Knight are an amazing 1-2 punch for Canadian athletics
– VIDEO: Thursday footage from the 2017 Canadian Track Championships
– Day one photos from the Canadian Track Championships
– Canadian Track and Field Championships apparel
– Andre De Grasse wins third straight Canadian 100m Championship
– Photos from day two of the Canadian Track and Field Championships
– The age of the Canadian 1,500m finalists spans nearly two decades
– Andre De Grasse has his entourage present in Ottawa
– Sub-10 100m, 20-flat 200m sprinter Aaron Brown and his Netflix picks
– Melissa Bishop leads wire-to-wire to handily win Canadian 800m title
– Sage Watson breaks longstanding record at Canadian Track Championships