With Father’s Day just around the corner, it means one of the most celebratory weekends in my family’s yearly calendar. My Mum’s birthday and Father’s Day always fall on the same weekend, and sometimes on the same day. This wreaks havoc on our planning as we must make sure to celebrate both of them adequately, but individually. Sometimes it’s been a weekend of family meals: dinner for Mum, brunch for Dad, or vice versa. In summary, its a weekend filled of presents, parent adoration, and lots of food.
article continues after advertisement
Since we have two family meals, neither one can be too decadent, otherwise after one dinner, guests will still be full by the time brunch rolls around. For the birthday celebrations there always has to be a cake, but you can’t have Father’s Day without some treat. While prepping food, I try to keep things as healthy as possible. Summer fruits are in abundance which makes for an easy dessert fix. Pair the fruit with nuts and a dollop of frozen ice cream, a simple and delicious dessert is created.
Baked pears with walnuts and honey
2-3 pears, depending on the number of guests (1/2 pear for each person)
½ tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup crushed walnuts
optional: ice cream or frozen yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Cut the pears in half and place on a baking sheet. You can trim a little bit off the skin-side so they sit flat on the tray.
3. Carefully scoop out the seeds with a spoon or melon baller.
4. Sprinkle the pears with cinnamon, top with walnuts and drizzle with honey. The amount of toppings you put on is totally up to you.
5. Bake in the oven for 30-35 mins until softened. Cool slightly and serve.