Day 71 of 130
Ks to go: 619
General mood tired:
Running highlight: Finishing Around the Bay
Equipment status: Well used
Body status: Sore
article continues after advertisement
The butterflies are gone and the participaction medal is around my neck. Here’s how Around The Bay went down:
1. I finished in 3:01:49. That means:
– If I keep up that pace, I should be able to run my marathon in under 4:20.
– I am well on my way to hitting my goal of becoming a middle of the packer. I finished a little ahead of the middle for my gender 1260/2683, back of the middle in my age group at 194/370 and very very back of the middle overall 3504/5697.
– According to my Garmin, I actually ran 31.1K –Throw in that extra K and I’m well on pace right? Now how can I get Ottawa to count my zig zags?
– 3:01:49 is 23 minutes and 43 seconds faster than my time from 2004 (3:24:34).
2. I passed more people than passed me. At one time, all I could pass was wind.
3. All this training is working
1. I finished in 3:01:49
– I really, really wanted to sub-3 hours and just couldn’t do it.
– I had NOTHING left in the tank when I finished (daunting for my marathon). In fact, for the first time ever I actually felt like barfing during the race.
2. I got shoved over at the finish line. No joke. About 10 metres from the finish line, a woman elbowed me over to the side. Thinking about it, we were so close to winning, I can totally understand…once she got me out of the way, she only had to finish the race about an hour and 15 minutes faster, and she’d have been on the podium.
3. At around 27K, a volunteer spilled water down my right sleeve. I’m positive the water weight added at least a minute to my time. Next year, I’m just going to ask for cucumber sandwiches.
If you like my blog, drop me a line and I’ll add you to my mailing list to let you know when updates are on the site. Don’t worry, your e-mail address will be safe with me and my best Nigerian banker friends.