Day 71 of 130
General mood tired:
Running highlight: Finishing Around the Bay
Equipment status: Well used
Body status: Sore
Weight: 144

It’s over.

The butterflies are gone and the participaction medal is around my neck. Here’s how Around The Bay went down:

The Good

article continues after advertisement

1. I finished in 3:01:49. That means:

–  If I keep up that pace, I should be able to run my marathon in under 4:20.

–  I am well on my way to hitting my goal of becoming a middle of the packer. I finished a little ahead of the middle for my gender 1260/2683, back of the middle in my age group at 194/370 and very very back of the middle overall 3504/5697.

– According to my Garmin, I actually ran 31.1K –Throw in that extra K and I’m well on pace right? Now how can I get Ottawa to count my zig zags?

–  3:01:49 is 23 minutes and 43 seconds faster than my time from 2004 (3:24:34).

2.  I passed more people than passed me. At one time, all I could pass was wind.

3.  All this training is working

The Bad

1. I finished in 3:01:49

– I really, really wanted to sub-3 hours and just couldn’t do it.

– I had NOTHING left in the tank when I finished (daunting for my marathon). In fact, for the first time ever I actually felt like barfing during the race.

2. I got shoved over at the finish line. No joke. About 10 metres from the finish line, a woman elbowed me over to the side. Thinking about it, we were so close to winning, I can totally understand…once she got me out of the way, she only had to finish the race about an hour and 15 minutes faster, and she’d have been on the podium.

3. At around 27K, a volunteer spilled water down my right sleeve. I’m positive the water weight added at least a minute to my time. Next year, I’m just going to ask for cucumber sandwiches.

The Ugly

If you like my blog, drop me a line and I’ll add you to my mailing list to let you know when updates are on the site. Don’t worry, your e-mail address will be safe with me and my best Nigerian banker friends.

• Susan Knights says:

You did awesome!

• Brenda says:

That’s awesome, you should be proud. As daunting as it may be to finish the 31.1(!!) km and feel totally spent, never mind visions of barfing, you do still have two months of training ahead before you run your marathon, and look what strides you’ve made in the last two! As for the specific time, numbers are numbers, there to guide you, but serve to frustrate. I had in mind for my Hypothermic Half Marathon in Winnipeg to finish in under 2:30 — still an unbelievably slow time, but where I’m at — and I was just a teeny bit peeved to finish in 2:31:38. However, I reminded myself that running on various amounts and textures of snow for about 90% of the race was a lot different than the bare pavement running I’ve done all winter in southern Ontario. And my legs were so tired, I took an extra minute per km for about the last 6 km. So if I could’ve just kept going at the same rate… perhaps it was the extra snow on my shoes? 🙂 I think in time you will be pleased with these results — I hope that you are not in your best conditioning two months prior to the marathon — they best is yet to come!

• Shannon says:

Congratulations..I also ran ARB and clocked in at 3:07…1 minute faster than my best time….They say that if you can run Around the Bay, you can do a marathon….Those last 7+K of hills really challenge you mentally and physically. I too had a volunteer splash me with liquid..Sticky Gatorade and a took a tumble on Tin Pan Alley thanks for horrible road conditions….It is one of the toughest courses in North America so be proud! See you in Ottawa

• Jeff says:

Stop the presses!!

You misled us. I’m looking at the numbers,

Don’t you se it? It’s right there, staring out at us.
    Hiding in plain sight.

You did it!

It’s as clear as day.

I don’t believe it.

Its a miracle.

Your weight, it’s down to 144.

Holey Moley, a breathrough.

Awesome job.

• Kate says:

I was there yesterday too – those last 7kms take real guts…and at 3.01 you are fantastic! hobble proud today!

• Jennifer says:

I participated in the Around the Bay yesterday as well! What a great experience! I places 404 overall, 6th in my age group, and 44th of the women with a time of 2:16. I just missed the Gold medal by a minute – which if I was able to get through the crowd at the beginning and get more water in my mouth than on myself, then perhaps I will reach that goal! Congratulations everyone!

• Carmine says:

WOW, 3:01 is fantastic! I won’t bore you with my time, but needless to say it was much slower than yours.

You did amazing…enjoy it.

• Windy says:

Congratulations on your finish!

Your #2 is hilarious! My kind of sarcasm. I used to play soccer and upon being unnecessarily assaulted – I mean fouled (aren’t all fouls unnecessary in rec soccer?)-, I would inform the perp that I didn’t have my wallet on me. People get ridiculous when the adrenaline is flowing!

• Sarah says:

Awesome job, 3:01-holy, I hope I can manage that! And you’re down to 144lbs-BIG congratulations!!

• Elysia says:

I was also hoping to come in under 3 hours in the ARB, and missed it by a sliver, coming in at 3:00:38. Those “rolling” hills, especially that last one, are killer. It’s a tough course, so personally, I think a 3:01 time is pretty fantastic.

As for the age/gender/etc rankings — think of it this way. Even if you are in the middle of the pack, what % of the population can even run a 5k, nevermind conquer a full 30k? I don’t know the stats, but I hazard to guess, not many.

Be proud of yourself. You are doing an awesome job running, and in addition, you write a fabulously entertaining blog! Thanks!

• Susan says:

I have been reading your comments and you have motivated me to try my first marathon in Ottawa. (Also the half was full already) As a mom as well, I can appreciate so much of what you are saying.

• Rebecca Gardiner says:

Way to go Susan! I’ll see you there!

• Katheryn says:

Woah,
    This has certainly given me a little hope to being able to finish my first marathon without dieing shortly after. I’ve been training to do the half marathon…SOLD OUT!? I thought registering two months in advice would suffice, guess not. So, as long as there is a HUGE mcflurry waiting for me at the finish line ( and perhaps a defibrillator), I should be good to go!