My journey to go from Couch Potato to Kenyan runner – or at least become kind of speedy – is striding forward. Yesterday, I ran my fastest 10k ever. Finishing the Toronto Yonge Street 10k in 48:16.

Of course it’s easy to PB when you’ve never actually raced a 10k before (the almost entirely downhill route helped too), but I’m still pumped. Here’s why:

— I averaged a 4:50/km pace (normally I’m lucky to hit 5:30)
— I finished in the top 9% of female racers (usually, I’m just one of the best looking)
— The top 11% of my age category (OK, so I’m also among the youngest in the category)
— The top 20% overall (apologies to the 80% of people who had to look at my butt).
— 16th of 100 Oakville runners (the other 15 handily qualified for the London Olympics)
— 2nd “Rebecca” overall (but not if you ask my Mum).

Blam!

A definite step up from the middle-to-back-of-the-pack results I was achieving  when I first started writing this blog  ( See here and here for details).

Yup, it was a great day. Overcast, wind at our backs and a chilly, but not freezing, six degrees celsius.  Dr. Stevil’s pre-race advice was something about feeling as crappy at the end of the 10k as I do at the end of a marathon, so I made that my goal – to just push it until I couldn’t. And, while I can’t say I felt quite as bad at the finish line as I did, in say, New York (no leg cramps, side seizures or nausea), I gave it my all, and just for today at least, I feel like I’ve shed a bit of my couch potato skin.

On the elite level, Reid ‘everyman’ Coolsaet squeaked out a very exciting  3/10ths of a second win over Kip Kangogo (See it for yourself) finishing in 28:35.7 and Tarah McKay-Korir won the women’s race in 32:06 (Tarah is married to Wesley Korir, last week’s Boston Marathon winner. What would it be like being their kid?) Awesome.

Next stop? Peterborough triathlon. Bring it on!

If you like my blog,  drop me a line and I’ll add you to my mailing list to let you know when updates are on the site. Don’t worry, your e-mail address will be safe with me and my best Nigerian banker friends.

Report error or omission

• Isabelle says:

WOW!!!!! Congratulations!!! Your performance is amazing!

• Carmine says:

Way to go Rebecca. Awesome finish!

• Margaret Davey says:

Congrats on your wonderrful time and PB Rebecca!!!! Connors Runners continue to leave their mark!!! Yea!
    Margaret

• Lisa says:

That’s fantastic Rebecca! I have been looking for a downhill 10k, but that one has too many people.

Good luck in your tri training!

• Rob Long says:

Hey Becky, awesome job in your 10K…congrats!

Thank you for the endless entertainment, I love your blogs 🙂 Whenever I see a recent post, I must read it A.S.A.P. And you never disappoint!

So now, after you complete your Tri, you should consider participating in an event down here on the East Coast. Here in Saint John, NB we have ‘Marathon By The Sea’; Fredericton just last weekend hosted their Marathon (co-incidentally named the ‘Fredericton Marathon’); Halifax, NS has their ‘Bluenose Marathon’ on this Victoria Day weekend; Charlottetown has the Prince Edward Island Marathon (which I plan to tackle) in October and Moncton has their Legs for Literacy event, also in October.

You should make it a point to come down here some time! The scenery is incredible, the way of life here is very relaxing and the people…well, the people are amazing 🙂

Take care, and maybe I’ll see you in person once again, sometime soon? (We had actually met previously at the 2010 Ottawa Marathon)

Rob

• Rebecca Gardiner says:

Hi Rob! Of course I remember you and thank you so much for your support.

I love it out East! You are right – I have never met a person from your neck of the woods I didn’t like. My sister in law is from the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia and my two brothers went to Dalhousie. We also have good friends in Newfoundland whom we’ve visited twice in recent years. I am actually toying with the idea of a fall marathon and would love to eventually run one on your side of the country… but is there such a thing as a flat”ish” marathon out there? I hear the P.E.I marathon is deceiving in that regard… or is that just a rumour? If I attempt a fall race I want to try and PB and not sure I could do it with all those hills!

Anyhow thanks again and would love to run with you soon (although if I recall you are much much speedier than me so maybe just for your warm-up!)

• Rob Long says:

Hey Becky, the flattest marathon on the East Coast (by far) is the Fredericton Marathon! A few very slight climbs, but mostly pancake flat.
        Both Marathon By The Sea (Saint John) and the Bluenose (Halifax) are quite challenging.
        Legs for Literacy (Moncton) is mostly flat, with some decent hills during the last 12 to 15 kms.
        Okay now for Prince Edward Island – from everything I’ve heard, it isn’t too bad…basically rolling hills with no drastic climbs. This will be my first time running the PEI Marathon, so we’ll see!!

• Cindy says:

It’s been so long since we’ve heard from you! How’s the tri training going? Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Cindy

• Rebecca Gardiner says:

Hi Cindy,

Yeah, I know, I’ve been slack on the blog entries… turns out this tri training business is rather time intensive! That said I have it in my diary to finally write another entry tomorrow. So please stay tuned! Thanks for reading my blog and for your support,

Rebecca