The highest-profiled name on Canada’s team for the 2018 Commonwealth Games has withdrawn from the competition.
“The Commonwealth Games was going to be a great opportunity to display my talents to a passionate fan base in Australia,” De Grasse said in a statement, according to Australia’s SBS News. “I wouldn’t want to go in there at any less than my best and for that reason we have made the difficult decision to withdraw from the games.”
Andre De Grasse, a three-time Olympic medallist over 100m, 200m and in the 4x100m, missed both the 2017 IAAF World Championships in London and did not compete for Canada at the 2018 IAAF World Indoor Championships earlier this month.
“I will now train hard through the spring to be ready for a strong and full outdoor season,” he said.
The 23-year-old from Toronto did not compete at 2017 world championships because of a hamstring injury he suffered in practice.
The Commonwealth Games are scheduled for April 4-15 – early in the season for professional track and field athletes – in Australia. De Grasse was expected to race the 200m and 4x100m.