The B.A.A. has announced that registration for the 124th Boston Marathon, to be held on Monday, April 20, 2020, will open September 9, 2019. It will follow the same process as in previous years, except that qualifying standards for 2020 have been tightened up by five minutes across all age categories.
Registration is entirely online, at www.baa.org. The B.A.A. follows a process of allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first, with a rolling admission schedule.
How it works:
- On Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register.
- On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more.
- On Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more.
- Registration will close for week one on Saturday, September 14 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
If space remains after the first week of registration (September 9-14):
- Registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Wednesday, September 18 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
- As during the first week of registration, the fastest qualifiers by gender and age group will be granted entry as space allows.
If space remains after the first two weeks of registration:
- On Monday, September 23 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards.
- Registration will remain open for valid qualifiers on a first-come, first-served basis until the maximum field size is reached, or until Sunday, October 27 at 5:00 p.m. ET (whichever comes first).
The qualifying window for 2020 began on September 15, 2018, and you may run a qualifying race anytime until the race is full or by Sunday, October 27, 2019, whichever comes first.
Qualifying standards for 2020
All qualifying times are based on chip (net) time. Times came into effect on September 15, 2018.
|18-34||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 30min 00sec|
|35-39||3hrs 05min 00sec||3hrs 35min 00sec|
|40-44||3hrs 10min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
|45-49||3hrs 20min 00sec||3hrs 50min 00sec|
|50-54||3hrs 25min 00sec||3hrs 55min 00sec|
|55-59||3hrs 35min 00sec||4hrs 05min 00sec|
|60-64||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|65-69||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|70-74||4hrs 20min 00sec||4hrs 50min 00sec|
|75-79||4hrs 35min 00sec||5hrs 05min 00sec|
|80 and over||4hrs 50min 00sec||5hrs 20min 00sec|
Para Athletics Division Qualifying Standards
Registration for Para Athletic Divisions and Adaptive Programs opens on the same day and follows the same procedure as for the Open Division outlined above.
All standards below are based on official submitted net (chip) time.
For wheelchair athletes:
|T53 / T54 / T34||18 – 39||2hrs 00min 00sec||2hrs 25min 00sec|
|40 – 49||2hrs 15min 00sec||2hrs 40min 00sec|
|50 and over||2hrs 30min 00sec||2hrs 55min 00sec|
|T51 / T52 / T33||18- 39||2hrs 45min 00sec||3hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 – 49||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||3hrs 15min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
For athletes with vision impairment seeking entry into the Para Athletics Division:
|T13||18 – 39||3hrs 40min 00sec||4hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 – 49||3hrs 55min 00sec||4hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 15min 00sec||4hrs 45min 00sec|
|T11 / T12||18- 39||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|40 – 49||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 25min 00sec||4hrs 55min 00sec|
For athletes with upper or lower limb impairments seeking entry into the Para Athletics Division:
|Class||Qualifying Standard (Both Men and Women, Age 18 and over)|
|T61 – T64||5hrs 40min 00sec|
|T45 / T46||4hrs 55min 00sec|