The 124th running of the Boston Marathon will be run on Monday, April 20, 2020, and registration starts on Monday, September 9. Here’s what you need to know to be ready to sign up for the most prestigious marathon on the calendar.
Registration is entirely online, at www.baa.org. The B.A.A. follows a process of allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first, with a rolling admission schedule. It’s important to note that qualifying times have been tightened up by five minutes across the board over the 2019 qualifying times, but it’s too early to say whether runners will need to exceed the new qualifying times, or by how much. Registrants are encouraged to follow the B.A.A.’s Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates and answers to frequently asked questions.
Open division qualifying standards for 2020
All qualifying times are based on chip (net) time. Times came into effect on September 15, 2018.
|18-34||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 30min 00sec|
|35-39||3hrs 05min 00sec||3hrs 35min 00sec|
|40-44||3hrs 10min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
|45-49||3hrs 20min 00sec||3hrs 50min 00sec|
|50-54||3hrs 25min 00sec||3hrs 55min 00sec|
|55-59||3hrs 35min 00sec||4hrs 05min 00sec|
|60-64||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|65-69||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|70-74||4hrs 20min 00sec||4hrs 50min 00sec|
|75-79||4hrs 35min 00sec||5hrs 05min 00sec|
|80 and over||4hrs 50min 00sec||5hrs 20min 00sec|
How it works:
- On Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register.
- On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more.
- On Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more.
- Registration will close for week one on Saturday, September 14 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
If space remains after the first week of registration:
- Registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Wednesday, September 18 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
- As during the first week of registration, the fastest qualifiers by gender and age group will be granted entry as space allows.
If space remains after the first two weeks of registration:
- On Monday, September 23 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards.
- Registration will remain open for valid qualifiers on a first-come, first-served basis until the maximum field size is reached.
Para Athletics Division Qualifying Standards
Registration for Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs will open on September 9, 2019 and follow the same procedures as detailed above. Registration for Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, and will remain open until the maximum field size is reached or until October 27, 2019.
All standards below are based on official submitted net (chip) time.
For wheelchair athletes:
|T53 / T54 / T34||18 – 39||2hrs 00min 00sec||2hrs 25min 00sec|
|40 – 49||2hrs 15min 00sec||2hrs 40min 00sec|
|50 and over||2hrs 30min 00sec||2hrs 55min 00sec|
|T51 / T52 / T33||18- 39||2hrs 45min 00sec||3hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 – 49||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||3hrs 15min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
For athletes with vision impairment seeking entry into the Para Athletics Division:
|T13||18 – 39||3hrs 40min 00sec||4hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 – 49||3hrs 55min 00sec||4hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 15min 00sec||4hrs 45min 00sec|
|T11 / T12||18- 39||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|40 – 49||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 25min 00sec||4hrs 55min 00sec|
For athletes with upper or lower limb impairments seeking entry into the Para Athletics Division:
|Class||Qualifying Standard (Both Men and Women, Age 18 and over)|
|T61 – T64||5hrs 40min 00sec|
|T45 / T46||4hrs 55min 00sec|