Home > Runs & Races

Medical concerns force Dave Proctor to stop short of TransAlberta FKT

After about a day of running, Proctor made the difficult call to pull the plug on his cross-province record attempt

Dave Proctor Photo by: Ralph Arnold Photography

Mid-run medical concerns have forced Dave Proctor to call off his TransAlberta FKT (fastest known time) attempt. Around a day into what he hoped would be a 72-hour run across Alberta, Proctor decided it was in his best interest to get picked up and receive medical attention. He was taken to Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary on Saturday, and after a round of tests, he has returned home. 


Before his run, Proctor said he hoped to complete the 537K TransAlberta FKT in 72 hours or less. This would set two records, as it would be the fastest run across Proctor’s home province of Alberta and it would better his own Canadian 72-hour record, which currently sits at 500K. Pushing a stroller that contained all of his gear, food and water, Proctor set out on the Trans-Canada Highway on Friday morning, kicking the challenge off at the B.C.-Alberta border. 

RELATED: Dave Proctor set to start TransAlberta run on Friday

Proctor’s goal for the opening 100 miles of the FKT attempt was to run somewhere between 14 and 16 hours. He hit that with time to spare, passing through 100 miles in 15 hours, 30 minutes. He then continued on through Calgary and powered toward the remaining two thirds of the run. Unfortunately, Proctor didn’t get much farther, and when things didn’t feel right on the other side of Calgary, he decided to call for a ride to take him to the hospital. 

Posting on Proctor’s behalf on Instagram, Stephanie Gillis-Paulgaard of Take Roots Consulting wrote, “Dave had to make a very tough call to end his TransAlberta run. He had some concerns and is now being cared for by our amazing healthcare workers. Of course there is disappointment but he’s happy with his effort.”


Before his run, Proctor said all he had in his mind as a set goal was to hit the first 100 miles between 14 and 16 hours. After that, he said, it was impossible to know how his body would react to the run. He averaged about 5:47 per-kilometre pace for the opening 100 miles, and he decided that carrying on for another 200 wouldn’t have ended well.  

RELATED: Training for the mental side of ultramarathons

“These decisions are never easy to make,” Gillis-Paulgaard said after Proctor returned home. “When you have concerns — any concerns — you leave it to the professionals.” Gillis-Paulgaard noted that Proctor’s tests at the hospital came back normal, but he’s at peace with the decision he made on the route.  

“The reality of completing the TransAlberta in the intended timeframe was not in the cards,” she said. “For now, Dave will rest and assess.”