The Ultra-Trail World Tour announced yesterday that after eight years, the series is coming to an end. A new and extraordinary adventure is on the horizon as the new UTMB World Series begins in 2022.
The new UTMB World Series will add two new trail ultramarathons in North America. Earlier this year, the UTMB signed a partnership with the Ironman Group to help develop the new series, set to start in 2022. The Canyons Endurance Runs (held in Auburn, Calif.) and Speedgoat Marathon Races in Utah will now be additional qualifiers for UTMB Mont-Blanc.
This year’s UTMB World Series Majors will take place in Val d’Aran, Spain and Hong Kong (TransLantau by UTMB). The majors offer double the number of points of other UTMB World Series events, increasing an athlete’s chance to be selected in the 2023 UTMB Mont-Blanc registration lottery.
“The UTMB World Series Majors offers additional qualification chances for the UTMB World Series Finals with the top 10 male and top 10 female runners in each of the 50K, 100K and 100M categories automatically winning a spot on the 2023 start line,” per UTMB World Series press release. “Runners will also collect double the amount of Running Stones compared to other UTMB World Series Events, increasing their chance of being selected through the UTMB Mont-Blanc 2023 registration lottery.”
The Canyons Endurance Runs will take place on April 23, 2022, in Auburn, Calif. along the Western States Trail, featuring three distances: 100K, 50K and 25K. The Speedgoat Mountain Races, held on the slopes of Snowbird Resort in Utah, in July, include 13K, 28K and a 50K event and almost 12,000 feet of climbing at 9,000 feet of altitude.
The Western States 100 is also part of the series. “We remain in charge of how we put on the race,” said race director Craig Thornley. “That said, we are excited about the new UTMB World Series.”
🌎 BREAKING NEWS 🌎
UTMB® World Series bolsters 2022 circuit with addition of events in North America and across Europe, and confirms first Majors.
More info ➡️ https://t.co/RJ3ho89a4P.#UTMBWorld pic.twitter.com/UkW3YG57jl
— UTMB® (@UTMBMontBlanc) December 16, 2021
Here are the 24 events in 16 countries confirmed for the first UTMB World Series:
- Tarawera Ultramarathon by UTMB (New Zealand), Feb. 12
- Istria 100 by UTMB (Croatia), April 7-10
- Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB (USA), April 23
- Ultra-Trail Australia by UTMB (Australia), May 12-15
- Trail du Saint-Jacques by UTMB (France), June 11
- Mozart 100 by UTMB (Austria), June 18
- La Sportiva Lavaredo Ultra Trail by UTMB® (Italy), June 23-26
- Trail 100 Andorra by UTMB (Andorra), June 24-26
- Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run (USA), June 25-26
- Speedgoat Mountain Races by UTMB (USA), July
- Ultra-Trail Snowdonia by UTMB, (Wales), July 1-3
- Restonica Trail by UTMB (France) July 7-9
- Val d’Aran by UTMB (Spain), July 7-10
- Trail Verbier Saint-Bernard by UTMB, (Switzerland), July 8-10
- Eiger Ultra Trail by UTMB, (Switzerland), July 15-17
- Wildstrubel by UTMB, (Switzerland), Sept. 8-11
- Julian Alps Trail Run by UTMB, (Slovenia), Sept. 16-18
- Nice Côte d’Azur by UTMB (France), Sept. 22-25
- Puerto Vallarta México by UTMB (Mexico), dates TBA
- Thailand by UTMB (Thailand), Nov. 10-13
- TransLantau by UTMB (Hong Kong), Nov. 3-6
- Panda Trail by UTMB (China), dates TBA
- Gaoligong by UTMB (China), dates TBA
- UTMB World Series Finals; UTMB Mont-Blanc (France, Italy, Switzerland), Aug. 22-28