Day one of the Canadian university championships (indoors), a three-day event, concluded yesterday evening at York University in Toronto with the 60m finals going off as well as preliminary heats for the 600m.
Professional football player Tevaughn Campbell broke a University of Regina school record in winning the men’s 60m national championship in 6.67. He plays for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League in the spring and summer as a defensive back while attending and competing for the university in the fall and winter.
Campbell is the fastest athlete ever in the CFL. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.355 in 2015– a mark which helped him earn his spot on the league. The rookie combine acts as a showcase of young athletes’ strength, speed, and skill.
— U of R Cougars (@ReginaCougars) March 11, 2016
Western’s Joy Spear Chief-Morris was the victor in the women’s 60m running 7.40. Spear Chief-Morris won the Ontario university championships (OUA) track MVP two weeks ago and was the first athlete from her university to do so since 2000. Her team leads the women’s standings after day one of the championships.
Full results can be found here.
1. Campbell, Tevaughn Regina 6.67
2. Boateng, Bismark York Lions 6.74
3. Thompson, Kyle Guelph 6.78
4. Coolen, Matthew Dalhousie 6.83
5. Branning, Kahlen Regina 6.87
6. Williams, Winston University of Sask 6.90
7. Allard, Dominic Laval 6.90
8. Linde, James Trinity Western 6.95
1. Spear Chief-Morris, Joy Western Mustangs 7.40
2. Harris, Sheereen York Lions 7.54
3. Beals, Shannay Dalhousie 7.54
4. Warren, Madeline Toronto 7.61
5. Walkeden, Leah U of Alberta 7.62
6. Becker, Joy Regina 7.62
7. McLeod, Rachael Manitoba 7.64
8. Rosin, Rachel U of Alberta 7.68
A photo posted by Joy SpearChief-Morris (@joyscm) on
Men’s 600m preliminaries (these athletes qualify for the finals)
1. Smart, Sacha Toronto 1:19.00Q
2. Ullman, Alex Windsor 1:19.89Q
3. Peters, Garrett University of Sask 1:19.45q
4. Moodie, Triphon Western Mustangs 1:19.67q
5. Land, Tommy Guelph 1:19.92q
6. Bellemore, Corey Windsor 1:19.94q
Women’s 600m preliminaries (these athletes qualify for the finals)
1. Westaway, Jenna Calgary 1:29.96Q
2. Annear, Grace Unb 1:30.03Q
3. Jewett, Rachel Toronto 1:30.43q
4. Jacques, Marie-eve U.Sherbrooke 1:30.77q
5. Romaniw, Olivia Guelph 1:31.33q
6. Bouchard, Maité U.Sherbrooke 1:31.55q
*Q=Automatic qualifier, q=athletes who qualify based on time.
Canadian Running will be live at the championships on Saturday and updates can be found via our Twitter account. Friday track action begins at 2:45 p.m. EST.