Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc runner-up Kilian Jornet is one of the most-followed athletes on Strava, a platform where runners post their training and racing activity. And for good reason as many of his runs are rather spectacular given his knack for the mountains.
For the Sept. 1 100-mile ultramarathon in Chamonix, France, Jornet, 29, shared his race statistics on the platform. The UTMB circles, on a single loop, of Mont Blanc, the tallest mountain in the Alps.
Four of Jornet’s first 10 kilometre splits at UTMB were sub-four before he and the leading men’s pack settled in to a more sustainable pace for the hours ahead.
UTMB men’s champion Francois D’haene and fifth-place finisher Jim Walmsley also posted their statistics to Strava, though D’haene’s data was not tracked for the final 10K of the race. Walmlsey’s statistics, minus the extra hour he spent on course, are similar to Jornet’s. (Both first and second-place women’s finishers do not appear to be on Strava.)
With the race taking place over the course of more than 19 hours, the GPS watches used must have had some serious battery life.
6:42 per kilometre
Suunto Spartan Ultra
Link to Jornet’s Strava account.
See what Jornet had to say post-race with his interview with iRunFar.
Canadian Running‘s coverage of the 2017 UTMB
– Alissa St Laurent hopes second time’s a charm at the 2017 UTMB
– How to qualify for UTMB racing in Canada
– Cancer-beating Canadian takes on world’s most famous, and daunting, ultra
– Top Quebec ultrarunner’s big-time mileage ahead of toughest race of his life
– Interactive course map and elevation profile feature
– How to follow the 2017 UTMB (live stream included)
– I retired from the Canadian Armed Forces with a serious knee injury. This year I’m running up mountains at the UTMB
– The start of the 2017 UTMB looked like a scene from a track race
– Alissa St Laurent’s Canadian Running Instagram takeover
– Must-see photos from the 2017 UTMB
– Interview: My boyfriend proposed to me at the 2017 Ultra-Trail Du Mont Blanc
– Alissa St Laurent places sixth at the 2017 Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc
– Canadian results from the 2017 Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc
– UTMB men’s champion welcomes race’s final finisher