Destination Races kicked off at The Vibrant Vine bright and early this morning! It was great seeing so many people participate in the Kelowna Wine Country Half Marathon again! A huge thank you for letting us be the starting line! More photos later today! Be sure you come back up to the tasting room after the marathon to receive 4 complimentary tastings! We'll also have AMAZING tacos from @bare_taco and music by the ever so talented, Monica Tracey!
The fourth annual Kelowna Wine Country Half-marathon provided the ideal environment for runners, wine enthusiasts or both.
The half-marathon in the heart of British Columbia’s Okanagan region is one of western Canada’s most popular destination races. The half-marathon was held this morning at 7 a.m. local time at Vibrant Vine winery.
The race, the only Canadian stop on the Destination Race Series, is point-to-point with the latter stages run along scenic Okanagan Lake. Runners finish at Waterfront Park in downtown Kelowna. There is also a wine aid station on-course.
Each of the top three finishers received cash winnings plus an additional wine prize. Former University of Calgary standout Brad Bickley won the half-marathon in 71 minutes. Erin Burrett of Nanaimo, B.C. was the overall women’s winner as she is in the midst of marathon training. Top results can be found below.
Runners got to enjoy beverages from local wineries as part of the post-race festival. The Okanagan Valley is one of Canada’s top wine regions and is one of the most scenic areas in Canada.
Participants received a wine glass for complimentary tastings to celebrate their half-marathons on Sunday morning and afternoon. The finisher medal can also double as a coaster. There were 798 finishers, according to Race Day Timing.
1. Brad Bickley (M25-29) – 1:11:13
2. Scott Jensen (M40-44) – 1:15:51
3. Chad Portwood (M30-34) – 1:16:15
4. Erin Burrett (F30-34) – -1:16:36
5. Malindi Elmore (F35-39) – 1:19:26
6. Felipe Edora (M45-49) – 1:20:31
7. David Starr (M25-29) – 1:22:17
8. Joshua Fraser (M25-29) – 1:23:23
9. Allison Blackmore (F50-54) – 1:23:53
10. Zachary Jackman (M19-24) – 1:24:43
11. Darren Klass (M35-39) – 1:24:46
12. Ed Bickley (M55-59) – 1:27:06
13. Andrew Vander Leek (M55-59) – 1:27:07
14. Katherine Moore (F35-39) – 1:27:51
15. David Bierbrauer (M40-44) – 1:28:26
16. Ken Skea (M60-64) – 1:28:32
17. Warren Beattie (M40-44) – 1:29:11
18. Drew George (M50-54) – 1:29:18
19. Christopher Schuld (M40-44) – 1:30:55
20. Tyler Ehlers (M19-24) – 1:32:00
— Squeezed Vineyards (@Squeezedwines) September 4, 2016